Farmer's Market Find of the Week
In my kitchen, carrots are almost always in the fridge — either as snack for Biskit (my crazy pup) or as an ingredient in soup, stews or stock. If you are headed to the farmers market this morning I recommend mixing it up and grabbing a bunch of the multi-colored carrots, your kids will enjoy the dip dyed colors and you will get some extra nutrients ( purple carrots have higher amounts of Vitamin A). Not sure what to make with them, the recipe below is one of my favorite go to meals, less than 20 minutes to prep and makes enough for lunch the next day.
Pollo Con Salsa Roja
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 Hours
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 7 celery stalks, diced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 (28-ounce) can El Pato Para Enchiladas
- 2 Avocados, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1. In the bottom of your slow cooker, layer the carrots, celery, and onions,and top with the minced garlic
2. Top the veggies with the chicken, squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken, and pour the entire contents of the El Pato sauce on top.
3. Cook on low all day (6-8 hours). Serve in bowls topped with the diced avocado and cilantro.
**Quick Tip** When storing the rest of your carrots, be sure to remove leafy green tops and stems so they don’t draw moisture away from the carrots, which will help them stay fresh and firm. Store in the refrigerator for up to a couple of weeks (they last a while!).